Lobster, Lobster Everywhere!



Lobster season is upon here in Belize and there's no missing it! Traps, posters, news articles, stuffed toy lobsters... you name it, I've seen it around town the past few weeks as San Pedro gears up for a week long Lobster Festival.

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of the creepy looking "cockroach of the sea" but I do love a good party! I'm especially looking forward to Cowboy Doug's after party! Who doesn't love a guy 'n girl swimsuit competition? I think after a few rum and sodas I'll be ready for the pool floaty contest. Prizes will be given out for the strangest, silliest and biggest pool floaty toys... whoo! Look out San Pedro, you just might see my crazy side on Sunday, June 24th. (I will NOT be posting pictures.)


I will, however leave you with this recipe for Lobster Thermidor, something I probably would have loved today if not for the fact that it was one of those things my parents forced on me as a young child. I shudder at the memory. I took this from tasteoflobster.ca which is full of yummy looking recipes for those of you who do love the crustacean.





This recipe makes an excellent choice for guests. It not only tastes delicious but can be prepared in advance and is impressive in its presentation. From Candleriggs, Peggy's Cove Road, Indian Harbour, Nova Scotia. (Formac Publishing www.formac.ca)
Ingredients
water sufficient to boil lobsters
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stock, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 lemon, sliced
4 uncooked lobsters, 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pounds each
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons chopped chives
1/4 cup flour
2/3 cup blend (10% m.f.)
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs, ground fine
1/3 cup grated Swiss or Parmesan cheese
fresh parsley or dill for garnish
Method
Pour water into a large pot and add onion, celery, bay leaf, and lemon slices. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Add lobsters and bring back to a boil. Skim off foam and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove lobsters, strain broth and reserve 1 cup.
Split lobster tails and bodies and cut lengthwise. Remove meat from tails, knuckles and claws and cut into pieces. Discard all shells except lobster bodies and tails. Clean shells under running water and brush inside and out with first amount of butter.
In a saucepan melt 1/4 cup of butter and sauté chives until tender. Stir in flour to make a roux and gradually whisk in blend and reserved broth, stirring over medium heat until thickened. Add sherry and mustard, cooking for one additional minute. Season with salt and pepper and stir in breadcrumbs and lobster chunks.
Place shells on a greased broiler pan and spoon the lobster mixture into them. Top with cheese and broil until golden and heated through, approximately 7 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley or dill.


Bon Appétit!

0 Responses

Post a Comment